Tuesday, February 8, 2011

New Post

It has been a month since I have posted anything so I want to post something now! I have been busy taking my commercial brewing course and actually have just not had anything time or money to go get some ingredients for beer. I think I will make a new batch in a week or so because I want there to still be some winter left when the stout is ready. I have not decided on what to make just yet but I think i want to involve some of the following things:

dark malts or something with a lower attenuation rate/fermentability in order to get a fuller body beer. eg. John bull or Laaglander extracts

juniper berries

maple syrup

bayberry bark, chamomile, or some type of gruit (in conjunction with or in place of hops)

Chocolate or cocao nibs

Coffee grounds either in a cold press after fermentation or hot press before fermentation

What do you think?



2 comments:

  1. I'm suspicious of the maple syrup. I like coffee and cocoa, but they don't seem to turn out too well in beer. Maybe that is an excuse to try it. Don't know what bayberry bark is, so I vote for that because I like to try new things. I wish it were more convenient to share it with you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah maple syrup sounds a bit sketchy, it's my room-mates idea. I have always wanted to make a beer using it but at the same time I do not think it should be used in conjunction with other flavors. Sounds overbearing.
    Bayberry bark is a therapeutic herb that can be used to increase blood circulation and can help to treat the common cold. I think that I can use it as a hop replacement because it has bitter qualities as well. I wish that we could share some of these brews with you guys as well, when are you coming to visit because it mostly goes on tap here at the house.

    ReplyDelete