Thursday, April 28, 2011

Fermentation of Jesus "Ryes us"

The batch which we put the american ale two yeast begun showing signs of fermentation within 24 hours while the batch with belgian witbier yeast has not shown any signs. I opened up the fermentor and looked in through the airlock hole and there was a litte bit of krausen forming on top. Other than that there has been no bubbling. Cheap chinese airlocks are not the best way to tell weather or not your beer is fermenting but it is a good guess.

We properly aerated both batches so the lag phase should have been reduced to around two days. I will give it a few more days until I do anything, it is in a safe environment as of now so I am not too worried about an infection. When we were smacking the packs, the belgian ale yeast opened and a little came out. That should not affect it, it might lengthen the lag phase since there will be less yeast present at the beginning. This could be why it is taking so long.

3 comments:

  1. I just checked the SG of the batch which I though was not fermenting due to a lack of bubbles from the air lock and it has most definitely fermented. The SG is 1.012 now and it started at 1.065. It smells wheaty with a touch of clove and honey (probably from the belgian witbier yeast). I am excited about this batch, it should prove to be quite delicious. I can not check the other batches SG since the fermenter does not have a spigot on the bottom and I do not feel like sanitizing my racking cane just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second fermenter which had AA2 yeast in it has also reduced down to 1.012 today. I will wait a few more days until I perform my D rest and then I will place both fermenters into the freezer for a few days so it can cold crash and bring it down to temp for carbonation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the initial taste of "Ryes us" for the AA2 yeast was a caramel and alcohol upfront and honey with a bitter aftertaste. I hope that carbonation and cold temperature will round this beer out.

    ReplyDelete