Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Double Tap that mofo






We finally got the "necessary" equipment to have more than one keg in the kegerator. It consists of a 4 way splitter for the CO2, 3 sets of gas tubing and ball lock valves as well as 3 more liquid out tubing sets. It will take some getting use to since as of right now there are no check valves or cut off valves in place, its just tubes to the kegs. In other words we have to disconnect the kegs every time we want to bump up CO2 or force carbonate.
I tried a new method of force carbonating last night were instead of the shake n crank method, which is very archaic I decided to attach the CO2 to the liquid out connect instead of the gas in. That way the CO2 bubbles up from the bottom and will stay like that for 48 hours total. I set the regulator to 11 PSI and it is sitting there still.


Since this was my first time doing this I really didn't know what I was doing and consequently did it wrong. I tried to attach the gas line the liquid line WITHOUT releasing the pressure on the keg first. That was stupid. Very stupid, especially since I had another keg hooked up to the same gas line and I have no check valves in place. So what happened you ask? Well the pressurized beer shot immediately out and into the gas line, where it then ran into the three other lines, one of which is connected to a keg I tapped the other day. I basically made a beer cocktail in my Artisian Pumpkin ale. Thankfully I have a check valve in place on my regulator or else I would be buying a new one today. The beer was not too bad after wards either but It is the thought that counts.


PS I have decided to attend Siebels in January where I will take the WBA concise course in brewing technologies. I have opted for the online version of the course so I do not have to live in Chicago for two weeks and I will have three months to absorb the information instead of two weeks. Once I get approved from the bank for a loan, I should be ready to go.


PICTURES FROM THANKSGIVING





Cheers to Beers



1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the Siebels course! Let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete