Tuesday, December 14, 2010

yes, that is a mound of hops





So I just changed out the blow off tube on my primary fermentor and decided now would be a great time to do another hop addition. I sanitized the scissors, a spoon and the air lock in some left over sanitizer from brew day. We took the hops (Northern Brewer 9.9% AA, whole leaf) and cut a side hole in the bag and then used that as a funnel and the spoon as a jammer. We are left with a mound of hops and after about twenty minutes when the oxygen has been purged out again I will shake the fermentor and get the hops all wet.
But how is he going to keep those hops from getting into the keg you ask? Well I am going to wrap a cheese cloth around my racking cane to keep the hops out, thats how. I will transfer to secondary when ever the bubbling reduces to less than once a minute, for now its at about six per minute.


Tonight there is a beer tasting from Oakshire at the homebrew store. I am looking forward to that.

Cheers to Beers

3 comments:

  1. I totally thought you were talking to me when you were making this video. I didn't realize you were taping. At least I was listening...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus dude. Did you manage to actually get those hops into the beer there or what? That's a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, I after a few minutes and the bubbling started back up, I just shook it around until the hops were covered.

    ReplyDelete