Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Racking the Brewski

So we racked the beer today into a secondary fermentor. I use a plastic five gallon open fermentor. In order to let the trub on the bottom settle back down after movement I started by moving the carboy full of beer into my kitchen two days ago and elevated it onto a counter. I started tonight out by taking my plastic fermentor into the bathtub and filling it up with warm water and 3 cap-fulls of Iodophor. I use one cap-full per 2.5 gallons of water in order to deliver a 12.5 PPM sanitation measure. You are supposed to soak your equipment for two minutes but I did it for a little longer because I wanted to make sure. Inside the fermentor I put my siphoning wand, the airlock, a knife and i let the lid sit upside down with sani in around the o-ring.
When everything is done sanitizing I start the siphon, making sure that the secondary fermentor is lower than the primary, oh physics.
So when all is said and done and the beer has been racked, we took the knife from earlier and cut an organic vanilla bean open and scraped the juice out and stuffed it inside two cinnamon sticks. Cinnamon is a natural antiseptic and there fore does not need to be sanitized, also the inside of the vanilla bean is naturally sanitized....I think. We tossed those into the fermentor and popped the lid on and now we wait
and wait
and wait


The beer sure did smell delicious, it did not have a strong spice smell but did have that delicious pumpkin taste. Also, the FG was 1.01, with a OG of 1.06 this means that the beer will have a ABV of 6.5%

you use the following measurement to figure that out:

(OG (1.06) - FG (1.01) ) x 131 = 6.55%

No comments:

Post a Comment